Sunday, December 08, 2013

////

My Pursuit of HappYness

“I wish, as well as everybody else, to be perfectly happy; but, like everybody else, it must be in my own way.” – Sense & Sensibility, Jane Austen

For the first time in years I went to the book section of National bookstore, and purchased this highly recommended book. I can download an e-book version but when it comes to self help book I prefer printed book. I like to scribble all over it and write anything on it. I always underline good bits and turn over the pages of bits that absolutely knock me out. I can re-read it over and over again and have a greater nostalgic significance with all those scribbles and highlighted texts, more likely an emotional connection. 

This book, The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin is a thought provoking self help book of finding real happiness in life. This is simple, every small things that we do in our daily life matter and have greater results than what we do once in a while. Happiness is measured everyday and not just in every significant moment in our life like party, wedding, travelling, reunion, holiday, etc. The author herself admits that she wouldn’t consider herself unhappy but she did realize that she wasn’t enjoying herself in life as much as she would have.

Though the book was divided into chapters of month (January through December) you can start and read it anytime. Do it as long or as short as you want. Our ultimate goal in life is to find happiness. like the author I admit that I'm neither sad nor depressed (well not anymore), but I love to do this worthwhile pursuit.   

The Happiness Project is divided up into several sections, and every chapters has resolutions that the author tackles each month. The idea behind this whole project is to figure out what little changes you could make that you think would make you happier.

This December, I made myself a few personal projects and promises (few were already started and some next year). I promised to move on, to be healthy, to be a better version of myself, to be true to myself, to do my personal projects, and more promises that I hope I will not break. I like the fact that I'm in control of my own destiny. I know that I pretty much can create my own path to fulfillment.

The Happiness Project is chock-full of information and good suggestions for most anyone.According to one study that Rubin cites during the course of the book, happiness is 50 percent genetic anyway, another 10-20 percent resulting from circumstances in life. This means that the remaining 30-40 percent is yours to maximize. Reading The Happiness Project is a great start.

Each person's definition of happiness varies and each person has a unique adventure. I hope you're enjoying yours. 

Inked with Love and Passion
Simply Princess
12082013 

 

0 Reactions to this post

Add Comment

    Post a Comment